UAS Command and Control IE
For more information please contact innovation [at] ogc.org (subject: UAS%20Command%20and%20Control%20IE%20Information)
Join the initiative
Open Geospatial Consortium is undertaking IE that will test the suitability of a C&C data model for UxSs in a real-world environment. The data model will be evaluated in the multi-domain, multi heterogenous vehicle use(s) and demonstrate exchange of command and control information.
This IE is based on a data model developed by Kongsberg Geospatial and partners under the Standards-based UxS Interoperability Testbed (SUIT). The IE will consider standards and specifications which were used in the SUIT work as well as other Command and Control practices from the aviation community.
- Assess the submitted C&C data model for suitability for information exchange between planning and operating systems;
- Test two or more independent implementations of all or part of the data model using DDS and one or more other protocols (e.g., MQTT, AMQP, IWG1);
- If MQTT or AMQP protocol will be used, it is suggested that the data encoding will be JSON and conforming to DDS Consolidated JSON Syntax Version 1.0 (https://www.omg.org/spec/DDS-JSON)
- XML encoding may be considered
- Evaluate the process for data creation, verification, transfer, and consumption in the command and control process chain; and
- Prepare an OGC Engineering Report that presents the IE results and identify whether a new standardization effort should begin or whether further research is necessary.
This IE is open to the general public. Participants (OGC members) take an active part in the experiments according to the resource commitment. All OGC members may also register as Observers. Individuals from non-OGC organizations will be allowed in the IE as Observers only.
Participants and Observers join the founding organizations of the IE which are:
- Kongsberg Geospatial
- University of Calgary
This IE will build on a data model developed by Kongsberg Geospatial and partners under the Standards-based UxS Interoperability Testbed (SUIT). SUIT is a command and control application agnostic to the autopilot system as well as the communication protocols. The typical commercial UxSs have software interfaces that are proprietary. SUIT's goal is to provide a standardized command and control data model (telemetry, mission data, other suggested by participants) and interfaces allowing swapping in and out of data with UxS.
Each Experiment will be performed with the consideration of multiple vehicles operating in the same area across multiple domains.
The IE plans but is not limited to perform experiments covering:
- Decoding and translation of the recorded telemetry from the real or simulated vehicle.
- Provision command and control data to one or more real or simulated vehicles.
- Provision command and control of one or more real or simulated payloads.
IE will conclude in an OGC Engineering Report that will present results and identify whether further research is necessary.