The Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) seeks public comment on the latest version of the GeoPackage Standard, v1.3.0. GeoPackage is an open, standards-based, platform-independent, portable, self-describing, compact format for transferring geospatial information. Comments are due by June 4, 2020.
GeoPackage version 1.3.0 is a minor revision to the current version 1.2.1. All of the changes were carefully considered for impact on existing implementations. Any changes considered to have a significant impact on reverse compatibility were rejected or recast in order to limit their impact.
In addition to a number of administrative changes to improve readability, clarity, and correctness, the following substantive changes were incorporated into the draft GeoPackage 1.3 release:
- Enforce alignment of Spatial Reference System (SRS) Identifiers between tables.
- Clarify use of views in user-defined tables.
- Relax Requirement 104 to allow use of schemas with attributes and extensions.
- Allow metadata scopes to be extended.
- Create new Requirement 152 to describe empty geometries.
Comments can be submitted for a thirty day period ending on the "Close request date" listed above. Comments received will be consolidated and reviewed by OGC members for incorporation into the document. There are three ways to provide input into the candidate standard:
- Edit the document on GitHub: if you are familiar with GitHub, please make your proposed changes directly. Instructions are in the README.md file in that repository.
- Submit an "issue" on GitHub: GitHub offers a simple interface for posting an issue/comment. Just click the green "New Issue" button.
- Submit your comments requests [at] lists.opengeospatial.org (via email. )Please refer to the following template for the message body: Comments Template.