Request Closed: September 1, 2023 9:00 am — September 22, 2023 11:59 pm
The Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) is looking to form a Space Standards Domain Working Group (DWG). The OGC Space Standards DWG will serve as a forum to identify requirements for standardization that are unique to the Space Domain, identify any organizations that may be addressing those requirements, and promote harmonization and integration of shared concepts across all Space Standards. Public comment is sought on its draft Charter. Comments are due by September 22, 2023.
The Space Domain is currently composed of a wide collection of initiatives, each addressing one part of the whole, and each developing their own standards and conventions. Attempts to harmonize across these initiatives are limited, and there remains no common concept of “Space Standards.”
While OGC cannot solve this problem for all the disciplines in space, it can make sure that the concepts of space and time are consistent and interoperable across the domain. In addition, OGC can identify any emerging Space Domain standards that may impact existing OGC Standards and encourage the impacted SWGs and DWGs to take appropriate action.
Key activities for the Space Standards DWG will include:
- Serve as a coordinating body for all OGC DWGs working in the Space Domain.
- Decompose the Space Domain into a manageable set of sub-domains.
- Identify and document missions in the Space Domain that may have unique standardization requirements.
- Identify and document initiatives that are developing Space standards and conventions.
- Identify opportunities for OGC to provide spatiotemporal data models, services, design patterns, and other architectural elements that can serve as a common capability across all Space standardization initiatives.
- Stay current on OGC Space-related initiatives and be prepared to report on these efforts to other non-OGC initiatives.
- Liaison with Space standardization initiatives as needed to promote commonality in space-time concepts.
- Establish Standards Working Groups as needed to address Space related requirements that are not otherwise being addressed.
The draft Charter of the OGC Space Standards Domain Working Group (23-041r1) (.PDF) is available for review and comment on the OGC Portal. Comments are due by September 22, 2023, and should be submitted via the method below.
Comments can be submitted to a dedicated email reflector for a period ending on the “Close request date” listed above. Comments received will be consolidated and reviewed by OGC members for incorporation into the document. Please submit your comments via this email address, using this Comments Template for the message body.
Subscribe to Comments:
You may wish to subscribe to the distribution list to receive comments as they are submitted. Subscribing to the list will also allow you to view comments already received, which can be found in the List Archives.