For more information please contact ip [at] ogc.org (subject: OGC%20Sprints%20Information)
OGC is currently investing lots of resources on Web API development to complement the exisiting Service Oriented Architecture W*S Web service interfaces with resource oriented counterparts. This effort is building a set of OGC APIs. OGC API - Features has been released as a public standard already, -Core, -Processes, -Tiles, -Styles willl follow and many others are currently worked on. These traditional resource type oriented APIs will be compleneted with convenience APIs as they are currently explored e.g. by the Environmental Data Retrieval API Standards Working Group or Testbed-16, which will develop a Data Access and Processing API. All these efforts need to be coordinated in order to develop a set of optimally aligned APIs. Common elements need to be extracted, and similarities handled carefully. At the end, we will have a set of building blocks that allow setting up a resource-optimized Web service endpoint cost efficiently that can be explored by clients straigtforwardly.
OGC Sprints play an important role in this process, as they allow moving discussions forward in an agile environment. At OGC Sprints, technology and domain experts, programmers and program managers come together to develop new and enhance existing OGC API specifications in an agile way. At OGC Sprints, APIs development is pushed forward and at the same time coordinated to ensure minimum redundancy and overlap and consistent use of common elements across the growing set of OGC APIs.
All OGC Sprints are open to the public. The following OGC Sprints are currently planned:
- 26-28 May, 2021: OGC API Virtual Code Sprint focusing on Maps, Tiles, and Styles APIs. Call for Participation here.
- 21-23 July, 2021: OGC API Virtual Code Sprint focusing on Processes, Records, and Coverages APIs.
- TBD September, 2021: OGC API Code Sprint (virtual event).
- TBD November, 2021: OGC API Code Sprint (virtual event).
The following OGC Sprints have been completed:
- 2021: Joint ASF – OGC – OSGeo Code Sprint (virtual event). Call for Participation here. The Summary Engineering Report is here.
- 2020: OGC API - Environmental Data Retrieval (EDR) Sprint #2 (virtual event). Call for Participation here.
- 2020: OGC Interoperable Simulation and Gaming (ISG) Sprint (virtual event). Call for Participation here. The Summary Engineering Report is here.
- 2020: OGC API - Common and OGC API - Features Sprint (virtual event). Register here. The Summary Engineering Report is here.
- 2020: OGC API - Maps Sprint (virtual event). Register here. The Summary Engineering Report is here.
- 2020: OGC API - Coverages Sprint (virtual event). Register here.
- 2020: OGC API Tiles Sprint (virtual event): participants experimented with and validated the current draft OGC API - Tiles specification. A blog post outlining the event is here.
- 2020: Environmental Data Retrieval API Sprint - verified and validated requirements and methods for the query and filter operations of the EDR API, developed prototype functionality through running code, and assessed the compatibility of the capabilities with the OGC API - Features standard and the work-in-progress OGC API - Common standard. A blog post outlining the event and current state of the EDR API is here. The Summary Engineering Report is here.
- 2020: ESIP and OGC Coverage Processing and Analysis Sprint A blog outlining the sprint is here.
- 2019: STAC and OGC API - Features and Catalogues Sprint
- 2019: OGC API Hackathon 2019 had the goal of advancing the development of OGC API specifications, by providing an environment and an opportunity for the geospatial community to collaborate. A blog outlining the hackathon is here.
- 2018: OGC Earth Observation Exploitation Platform Hackathon 2018 was conducted to evaluate the standards-based architecture for deploying and executing arbitrary applications close to the physical location of the data in heterogeneous cloud environments.