Public comment requested: 3D Tiles v1.1 Community Standard
The Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) seeks public comment on version 1.1 of the 3D Tiles Community Standard, which is used for sharing, visualizing, fusing, and interacting with massive heterogenous 3D geospatial content across desktop, web, mobile – and now metaverse – applications.
Previously referred to as “3D Tiles Next,” Version 1.1 of the 3D Tiles Community Standard is designed for streaming high-resolution, semantically-rich 3D geospatial data to the metaverse. 3D Tiles 1.1 promotes several 3D Tiles 1.0 extensions to ‘core’ and introduces new glTF™ extensions for fine-grained metadata storage. The candidate OGC Community Standard is identical to the Cesium release of version 1.1 of the 3D Tiles specification.
The primary enhancements in the candidate OGC 3D Tiles 1.1 include:
- Semantic metadata at multiple granularities
- Implicit tiling for improved analytics and random access to tiles
- Multiple contents per tile to support layering and content groupings
- Direct references to glTF™ content for better integration with the glTF™ ecosystem
- 3D Tiles 1.1 is backwards compatible with 3D Tiles 1.0 – aside from version number itself, valid 1.0 tilesets are also valid 1.1 tilesets.
Comments can be submitted to a dedicated email reflector for a thirty day period ending on the "Close request date" listed above, Comments received will be consolidated and reviewed by OGC members for incorporation into the document. Please submit your comments using the following link: requests [at] lists.opengeospatial.org (Click here to submit comments) The link provided above should include a standard template in the message body. If the preloaded message body does not work properly using your mail client, please refer to the following template for the message body: Comments Template