Liang, Steve (University of Calgary)
Hobona, Gobe (Open Geospatial Consortium, Inc.)
Chou, Tien-Yin (Feng Chia University)
The mission of the University Domain Working Group (UDWG) will be to coordinate the common interests of OGC academic and research members in the following areas:
- Formation and organization of a neutral academic advisory group providing a range of technology, policy, standards and other recommendations to all programs of the Open Geospatial Consortium.
- Strengthen the ability of University members to contribute to innovation in interoperability and to help improve the quality of both the existing and future work force needed to support national and global spatial data infrastructures.
- Strengthen the role and level of participation universities have within the consortium.
- Coordinated development of academic curriculum focused on geoprocessing interoperability and related standards organizations.
- Coordinated fund raising to advance the curriculum and accompanying material.
- Coordination of web service access and access to available data amongst the educational community (pushing forward the idea of an academic SDI).
- Exchange of teaching material and staff among the Universities.
- Identification of research grant opportunities for joint submission by OGC university members, and in partnership with the OGC Interoperability Institute, a 501c3 institute established to assist in fostering, education, outreach and support for thevalidation and transfer of research in the geoprocessing area of focus.
- Support the development of a preview process for papers on interoperability and standards topics.
- Improving the ability of the OGC infrastructure to support academic members and their interests.
- Facilitating the management of the OGC Internship Program in conjunction with other associations (i.e. UCGIS, AGILE).
- The creation and regular publication of an OGC University Newsletter and/or journal/magazine.