Sensor Web Enablement DWG
Botts, Mike (Botts Innovative Research) - Group Chair,
Liang, Steve (University of Calgary) - Group Chair
OGC members are specifying interoperability interfaces and metadata encodings that enable real time integration of heterogeneous sensor webs and the Internet of Things into the information infrastructure. Developers will use these specifications in creating applications, platforms, and products involving Web-connected devices such as flood gauges, air pollution monitors, stress gauges on bridges, mobile heart monitors, Webcams, and robots as well as space and airborne earth imaging devices.
OGC members have developed and tested the following candidate specifications. Others are planned.
- Observations & Measurements (O&M) - Standard models and XML Schema for encoding observations and measurements from a sensor, both archived and real-time.
- Sensor Model Language (SensorML) - Standard models and XML Schema for describing sensors systems and processes associated with sensor observations; provides information needed for discovery of sensors, location of sensor observations, processing of low-level sensor observations, and listing of taskable properties, as well as supports on-demand processing of sensor observations.
- Sensor Observations Service (SOS) - Standard web service interface for requesting, filtering, and retrieving observations and sensor system information. This is the intermediary between a client and an observation repository or near real-time sensor channel.
- Sensor Planning Service (SPS) - Standard web service interface for requesting user-driven acquisitions and observations. This is the intermediary between a client and a sensor collection management environment.
- SensorThings API (STA) - a RESTful web service based on JSON encoding that provides an open and unified way to interconnect Internet of Things (IoT) devices, data, and applications over the Web. This is the intermediary between a client (e.g., web application) and an observation repository or near real-time IoT sensor/actuator.
Please visit our OpenGIS® Specification page to view and comment on publicly available OGC Sensor Web Enablement Specifications. OGC invites organizations to join OGC and participate in OGC Sensor Web initiatives and other initiatives related to interoperable geoprocessing.
- OGC Reference Model
- Sensor Web Enablement White Paper
- Geospatial Solutions Article: "Sensor Web's Point of Beginning"
- SWE Overview PowerPoint Presentation
- Sensors & Transducers Article 9/06
- Sensor Web Enablement Architecture (Best Practice)
- SANY - an open service architecture for sensor networks
- Wikipedia page of OGC SensorThings API
Sensor Web Enablement Specification Links
- OpenGIS® Sensor Model Language (SensorML)
- OpenGIS® Sensor Observation Service (SOS)
- OpenGIS® Sensor Planning Service (SPS)
- Observations and Measurements (O&M)
- OGC SensorThings API (STA)