Matheus, Andreas (Secure Dimensions GmbH) - Group Chair
1. GeoXACML Standards Working Group
2. Purpose of this Standards Working Group
One purpose of the persistent GeoXACML Standards Working Group (SWG) is to develop an OGC Web Services Profile of GeoXACML and to progress it to the state of an adopted OGC standard. This profile will standardize the guidelines how to use GeoXACML to protect OGC Web Services and APIs and thereby providing enhanced interoperability in GeoXACML based access control systems.
Another purpose of the persistent GeoXACML SWG is to coordinate OGC's work on GeoXACML with the work of the OASIS XACML WG. The aim of this cooperation is to harmonize the closely related and sequential work of both standardization bodies.
This SWG will also evaluate and resolve CRPs referring to the OpenGIS® GeoXACML implementation specification and incorporate all submitted CRPs into a candidate revision of the GeoXACML standard. The SWG will ensure that all changes are consistent with the OGC standards baseline and business plan.
3. Scope of Work
The initial Roadmap plan of this SWG can be divided into the following work items:
1. Finalize the GeoXACML 3 draft standard, currently published as OGC Discussion Papers
13-100: GeoXACML3 Core: https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=55231
13-101: GeoXACML 3 GML Geometry extension: https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=55232
2. a. Create a GeoXACML GeoJSON Geometry Extension
b. JSON Path to work on (Geo)JSON encoded resources
3. Define location extensions for mobile platforms to resolve cooridnates in a trusted fashion - not to rely on the GPS location submitted by an application only. Mobile device "location" identified by cell tower metadata and GPS coordinates; location of subjects (users) and location of resources (the assets).
4. Another scope of work of this SWG will be to process CRPs referring to the GeoXACML Standard. Hence the SWG will collect all GeoXACML related CRPs, evaluate each of these proposals, and make edits to the standard based on change requests and related decisions of the SWG membership. Changes required to the standard to align it with revisions of the standards baseline or business plan also require the submission of CRPs. The SWG may announce a cut-off date for the submission of CRPs that are to be addressed in the next revision. Additional CRPs submitted after the cut-off date may be addressed at the discretion of the SWG based on criticality of the change and available time and resources. The SWG may decide to address selected CRPs immediately in a corrigendum of the current standard.
5. Coordination with the Innovation Program
3.1 What is out of scope?
Only those change requests submitted through the formal process as identified in the OGC TC Policy and Procedures will be addressed. Therefore, any items suggested through emails, vocal discussions, etc. will be outside of the scope of this SWG until formally submitted.
3.2 Specific Contribution of Existing Work as a Starting Point
The starting point for the work will be the Discussion Papers 13-100 and 13-101 GeoXACML 3 implementation specification draft, OASIS' eXtensible Access Control Markup Language (XACML) Version 3.0 specification, JSON Profile for XACML 3.
3.3 How it is to be Determined when the Work of the SWG has been Completed?
The GeoXACML SWG may dissolve after the following milestones have been achieved (note that this is not automatic as the GeoXACML SWG is a persistent SWG):
- Approval by the SWG membership of a recommendation to submit a document to the TC for consideration a revision of the OpenGIS® GeoXACML Standard.
- The SWG has completed the evaluation, resolution and incorporation of all CRPs submitted prior to the cut-off date into the candidate revision of the standard.
- Completion of a 30 day public comment period.
4. Description of deliverables
The initial focus of this SWG will be to develop the following two deliverables:
- OpenGIS® GeoXACML 3 (Core + GML extension + GeoJSON extension) for submission to the TC
- Either package the mobile platform location extension inside core or as a seperate document
5. IPR Policy for this SWG
6. Anticipated Participants
The targeted participants of the GeoXACML SWG are those involved in the design, development, implementation, or use of GeoXACML or XACML based access control systems for (OGC) Web Services and APIs as well as spatial content providers, traders or users and prospective GeoXACML users. This includes participants of standards working groups of the OGC which develop and maintain OGC standards that can be secured by GeoXACML or referencing GeoXACML.
7. Other informative information about the work of this SWG
a. Similar or applicable standards work (OGC and elsewhere).
- OASIS' XACML WG - XACML 3.0 and certain profiles of XACML 3.0
- OGC GeoXACML 1.0
b. Details of the first meeting
The first meeting of the SWG reconvene was held as a virtual meeting on January 14, 2021
c. Projected on-going meeting schedule
The work of the SWG will be carried out primarily by email, conference calls and with face-to-face meetings perhaps at each of the OGC TC and thru fortnightly meetings.
d. Supporters of the Proposal
The following people support this proposal and are committed to the Charter and projected meeting schedule. These members are known as SWG Founding or Charter members. Once the SWG is officially activated, this group is immediately "opted-into" the SWG and have voting rights from the first day the SWG is officially formed. Extend the table as necessary.
National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
Andreas Matheus, Secure Dimensions