WCS 2.0 SWG
1. Web Coverage Service (WCS) 2.0 SWG
The purpose of this Standards Working Group is to finish the Web Coverage Service (WCS) Version 2.0 Standard. It will achieve this objective by evaluating and processing the Change Requests listed in Section 3, ensuring that the standard is consistent with the OGC baseline and business plan.
This SWG is focused on processing change requests to be included in the Web Coverage Service version 2.0. The Scope of Work (SOW) will be to collect all outstanding and planned Change Requests, evaluate each of these proposals, and edit the standard based on these Change Requests and related decisions of the SWG membership.
This SWG will consider at least the following Change Request Proposals:
1) Separate Grid Coverages Common (OGC 08-178, first draft posted at https://portal.ogc.org/files/?artifact_id=31035&version=1)
2) Generalized Domain / axis concept - allowing axes of not just
spatio-temporal semantics. There are three solutions drafted: Option A: 08-008r3
Option B: 08-008r4, and Option C: 08-008r5. The analogous change request for OWS Common is Add General Reference System with three options as well: OGC 07-059r2, 07-059r3, 07-059r5.
3) Update to GML 3.2.1 (Not yet drafted, discussed at https://portal.ogc.org/twiki/bin/view/WCSrwg/UpdateToGML321)
4) Add Abstract Test Suite (First draft posted at https://portal.ogc.org/twiki/pub/WCSrwg/AddAbstractTestSuite/WCS_1_1_1_ATS_071011.doc)
5) Add Conformance Classes Annex (OGC 07-058r3, latest draft posted at https://portal.ogc.org/twiki/bin/viewfile/WCSrwg/AddConformanceClasses?rev=1;filename=07-058r3b_WCS_Add_conformance_classes.doc)
6) Provide WSDL description of SOAP encoding (Not yet drafted, discussed at https://portal.ogc.org/twiki/bin/view/WCSrwg/WSDLDescriptionOfSOAPEncodings)
7) Reduce Implementation Options (OGC 07-084, latest draft posted at https://portal.ogc.org/twiki/pub/WCSrwg/AddConformanceClasses/07-084_WCS_Reduce_options.doc)
8) Support JPEG 2000 and JPIP Output Formats (OGC 07-145 and 07-146 are drafts, being prototyped in OWS-5 testbed)
9) Support GeoTIFF Output Format (Not yet drafted)
10) Support Asynchronous GetCoverage Responses (Not yet drafted, discussed at https://portal.ogc.org/twiki/bin/view/WCSrwg/AsynchronousGetCoverageResponses)
11) Allow Multiple Temporal Domain Axes (Not yet drafted)
12) Harmonization with related OGC standards (SWE, WPS, etc) (Not yet drafted)
13) Integrate and harmonize with OWS Common 1.2
14) Several more changes (formal and non-formal) are listed on the WCS 1.2 SWG Twiki page: https://portal.ogc.org/twiki/bin/view/WCSrwg/WCS12ChangeRequests
Additional Change Requests may be addressed at the discretion of the SWG based on criticality of the change and available time and resources. What is out of scope?
Only those change requests submitted through the formal process as identified in the Policy and Procedures need be addressed. Therefore, any items suggested through emails, vocal discussions, twiki pages, etc are officially outside of the scope of this SWG until formally submitted, but they may be addressed at the discretion of the SWG.
3.1 Specific Existing Work Used as Starting Point
The starting point for the work will be Version 1.1.2 of the Web Coverage Service standard (OGC 07-067r5). In addition, the work previously done by the WCS.2.0 RWG will be used, as documented on the:
1) Twicki pages rooted at https://portal.ogc.org/twiki/bin/view/WCSrwg/WebHome
2) Portal pages rooted at https://portal.ogc.org/index.php?m=projects&a=view&project_id=115&tab=2&artifact_id=21513
These materials reflect the decision of the WCS 1.2 SWG to divide version 2.0 into multiple documents, and that decision will be followed by this SWG. These documents are not expected to all be ready at the same time, so an initial release of two or three documents is expected, followed by a second release of several more documents.
3.2 How to Determine when Work of SWG has been Completed
The following criteria will be used to determine the completion of this SWG:
1) All Change Request Proposals submitted prior to March 6, 2009 have been reviewed and evaluated to the satisfaction of the SWG. This may include working the proposal, rejecting the proposal, or postponing the proposal to a later version.
2) A completed revision of Web Coverage Service V2.0 Standards documents have been produced and reviewed by the SWG and have been approved for submission to the TC for approval as an adopted standard.
The following deliverables will result from the work of this SWG:
1) A final version of the Web Coverage Service V2.0 Standards documents for submission to the TC.
2) Corresponding XML schemas associated with version 2.0 of the Web Coverage Service Standards documents.
The following schedule of activities is anticipated:
1) Begin the organization and assignment of SWG work activities during the Web Coverage Service 2.0 SWG kickoff meeting to be held Tuesday, March 31, 2009, from 11:00 to 12:00 Eastern time.
2) Internal review of WCS 2.0 initial release documents status. This review will include final evaluation of which proposed changes are not likely to be ready in time for inclusion in the version 2.0 initial release documents.
3) Final version of the WCS 2.0 initial release documents completed at least three weeks prior to a TC meeting.
4) Initial release of WCS 2.0 Standards documents submitted to the TC during the TC meeting.
5) Internal review of WCS 2.0 second release documents status during TC meeting. This review will include final evaluation of which proposed changes are not likely to be ready in time for inclusion in the version 2.0 second release documents.
6) Final version of the WCS 2.0 second release documents completed at least three weeks prior to a TC meeting.
7) Second release WCS 1.1 Standards documents submitted to the TC during the TC meeting.
The above schedule is meant to serve as a guideline to the SWG in order to determine completion milestones. However, based on the actual Change Requests, completion dates may be adjusted to accommodate critical updates to the documents. Although all change requests will be addressed, some may be postponed due to the need to more quickly produce a document containing higher priority requests.
The target audience of Web Coverage Service version 2.0 is any implementers and / or users of OGC web coverage services.
a. Similar or applicable standards work
The following standards may be relevant to this SWG's planned work:
- Geography Markup Language V3.2.1 (also ISO 19136)
- ISO 19123, 19111
- OWS Common 1.2.0 SWG
- The SWE family of standards
b. Details of first meeting
The first meeting of this SWG will be held Tuesday, March 31, 2009 from 16:00 to 18:00 in Athens, Greece.
c. Projected on-going meeting schedule
The work of this SWG will be carried out primarily by email and teleconference calls, with face-to-face meetings at each of the OGC TC meetings as defined by the chair. The teleconference calls are currently planned every one or two weeks on Wednesdays from 11:00 – 12:00 AM Eastern time.
d. Supporters of this Charter
The following persons support this SWG and are committed to the Charter and projected meeting schedule.
National Center for Atmospheric Research
|Steven Keens||PCI Geomatics|
Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
Jacobs University Bremen