Standards Program Developer Relations (DevRel)
About the OGC
The Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) is an international consortium of more than 500 businesses, government agencies, research organizations, and universities driven to make geospatial (location) information and services FAIR - Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable. OGC’s member-driven consensus process creates royalty free, publicly available geospatial Standards. Working at the cutting edge of information technology, OGC actively anticipates emerging tech trends and the Standards needed to realize them. OGC is modernizing its suite of baseline standards to align with the Open APIs and is looking for an enthusiastic and knowledgeable DevRel professional to support that critical modernization initiative. Learn more about the OGC on our website.
At OGC, we focus on making location data available to everyone. We are looking for a DevRel to support the OGC API vision by making them (and related OGC standards) more developer-friendly. This position, a first for OGC, is being introduced to achieve OGC's overall mission of making location data easily integratable in mainstream IT.
The DevRel will be home-based and have a minimum of five (5+) or more years of experience in software engineering and development projects. The position is intended to be part-time, approximately 50% FTE (Full Time Equivalent). This position is open to responders seeking employment as well as to freelancers who are interested in collaborating with the OGC in a flexible setup. The position is within the OGC Standards Program, working in close cooperation with OGC’s Innovation Program and Chief Technology Officer’s Office. The Standards Program is a member-driven, consensus process where Standards for all things location are developer and approved. OGC’s standardization process is increasingly focused by OGC staff to ensure harmonization of efforts to address market needs.
The DevRel will initially focus on the OGC APIs, and ensure that they are designed, documented, tested and communicated in a way that's most accessible to the developer community - especially from outside the geospatial community. The OGC APIs are a critical part of the OGC Standards roadmap and this position will be key to advancing the most important OGC work for the future. This is a great opportunity to link the OGC membership to the wider developer and user community and requires internal and external coordination from the DevRel. The DevRel will identify developer communities to engage with; will provide material to communicate with these communities; provide developer resources such as sample code, test harnesses, etc to support implementation and compliance, guide the creation and maintenance of a dev.ogc.org site dedicated to OGC web resources for developers; participate and facilitate developer sprints and hackathons to advance standards. The ideal candidate has experience in design and development of geospatial software libraries and products and familiarity with existing and emerging OGC Standards.
- Act as the OGC API DevRel to connect the OGC with the developer community through provision of effective developer resources
- Manage and develop content for dev.ogc.org web resources for developers
- Work in close collaboration with OGC Standards Working Groups and the OGC API Product Manager to create developer resources for free and public use
- Work with OGC CTO to translate the OGC API vision to implementable standards
- Communicate the applicability and benefits of OGC Standards to OGC members and broader communities and present at conferences, sponsor gatherings, and other events relevant to the OGC mission
- Travel as necessary and feasible to international project meetings and conferences
- Work from home office
Basic Qualifications (Required):
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience with software engineering and development
- Experience building software solutions for access to and delivery of location data
- Experience in agile software development methodologies and product life cycles
- Experience with current Web technologies such as HTTP, Web APIs, linked data, JSON, etc.
- Experience with technical collaboration tools such as OpenAPI, SwaggerHub, GitHub / GitLab, etc.
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills
- Product management experience
- Experience with internationally distributed virtual project teams
- Exceptional customer engagement and technical communication skills
- Additional language skills welcome
Send your resume and motivation letter to jobs [at] ogc.org by Dec 1st.