Semantic Web Applications Developer
The OGC creates free, publicly available geospatial standards to make location information FAIR – Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable. OGC also manages an agile and collaborative research & development process - the OGC Innovation Program - that anticipates and solves real-world geospatial challenges experienced by our members.
This position supports the development of System of Systems architectures, where different communities get together to build a single system such as a Digital Twin of a Smart City. The position experiments with usage patterns to help evolve best practices. Technically, the goal is to link resources that are expressed as Linked Data: A knowledge graph using RDF (semantic) technologies in a highly modular approach, linked to a wide variety of “native” (non-RDF) resources.
The role will build on the skills and experience available in the successful candidate and provide an opportunity to become familiar with the full suite of technologies and components required to meet our diverse community needs with our available infrastructure. It will suit an accomplished applications developer keen to learn more about how and why data and infrastructure can be standardized for reuse in “systems of systems”.
The role will be guided by a Senior Research Engineer with extensive experience across the range of issues, and will be a mixture of delegated tasks and pair-programming activities as required. It is expected that the role will undertake active stakeholder engagement within the prioritized tasks to achieve maximum satisfaction and impact.
- Supporting user interaction via web applications
- Mostly open source web API tools using Python frameworks, the variability in the data types requires exploration of the most effective presentation paradigms.
- User Interface improvements using Jinja templates and CSS
- Supporting data and systems infrastructure
- BitBucket Pipelines & GitHub actions scripting using python
- Implementation of testing procedures for service quality
- Visualization and navigation of knowledge graphs in Web tools
- User Experience (Ux) analysis
- Data translation mechanisms using semantic descriptions
- Web application frameworks (preferably Python)
- Git code management
Desirable skills and experience (and/or growth paths)
- Geospatial data access via Web Services
- OGC standards
- Data conversions with XML and JSON
- UX (User Experience design)
- Graph database visualization
- SPARQL, RDF
- OWL (ontology) modeling,
- Web application provisioning (Linux)
- Spreadsheets as Web clients
- Software library or application support with community input
The position needs to be filled with our European business office, located in Belgium. This is a home office position that can be located anywhere, but given that many phone conferences take place during the morning hours of Central European Time, the candidate is best located in time zones that allow attending these regular sessions.
The Open Geospatial Consortium is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
All applications should be forward with cover letter and resume to jobs [at] ogc.org No phone calls accepted.