Project Manager for International R&D Projects
About the OGC
The Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) is an international consortium of more than 500 businesses, government agencies, research organizations, and universities driven to make geospatial (location) information and services FAIR - Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable. OGC’s member-driven consensus process creates royalty free, publicly available geospatial standards. Working at the cutting edge of information technology, OGC actively anticipates emerging tech trends and the standards needed to realize them. Through an agile, collaborative Research and Development (R&D) center called the Innovation Program, OGC prototypes innovative solutions according to member use cases. Learn more about the OGC Innovation Program on the OGC website.
OGC is seeking an IT Project Manager with a minimum of five (5+) or more years of experience in leading IT Research and Development projects. The position will be part of OGC’s technology exploration and research lab, the Innovation Program. The Innovation Program carries forward the agile exploration, prototype evaluation, and knowledge transfer of new ideas from their most speculative beginnings towards levels of technology maturity close to market readiness.
The IT Project Manager is responsible for planning and leading research and development (R&D) projects on behalf of sponsoring organizations from North America, Europe, Asia, Australia, and elsewhere. The projects themselves are generally carried out in collaboration with project participants from OGC member organizations around the globe. The Project Manager fulfills two roles in this process. In the first role, the Project Manager refines the goals, scope, and schedule of each R&D project in consultation with the sponsors; develops a call for participation; and manages project execution across up to 40 participating organizations. In the second role, the Project Manager provides technical leadership in achieving project goals by sharing expertise, orchestrating collaborations, and coordinating with broader OGC initiatives. The ideal candidate has not only a record of successful project management, but also a solid technical background in distributed information systems design and engineering, including requirements analysis and high level architecture. The OGC mission focuses on improving the discovery, interchange, processing, and visualization of data that has geographic location as a critical component. The ideal candidate has a decent background and sincere interest in cutting-edge Web-based computing technologies that can be applied to this challenge.
- In close collaboration with the CTIO, formulate and plan projects together with sponsoring organizations by transforming innovation concepts and technical trends into concrete R&D programs.
- Manage and track projects with full responsibility for multinational project execution.
- Lead and support international teams of participating organizations and sponsors to accomplish R&D project goals and objectives.
- Organize, direct, and manage all contract support services related to R&D projects, with ultimate responsibility for contractor resource allocation, contract task completion, and overall contract performance
- Manage, track, and report contract cost, schedule, and performance measures and targets.
- Communicate project vision, results, and wider benefits both among OGC members and in broader communities.
- Present at high-level scientific conferences, sponsor gatherings, and other events relevant to the OGC mission.
- Support international OGC member or collaborator organizations in planning and carrying out their IT transformations towards the next generation of Web-API-based data discovery, exchange, processing, and visualization.
- Conduct technology research, application domain investigation, literature review, software architecture refinement, and general geospatial technology analysis.
- Travel as necessary and feasible to international project meetings and scientific conferences
Basic Qualifications (Required):
- Minimum of five (5) or more years of experience with technical project management
- Experience building solutions for cross-organizational data discovery, exchange, and processing
- Experience in agile software development methodologies and product life cycles
- Experience with current Web technologies such as HTTP, Web APIs, linked data, dynamic HTML, JSON, and so on
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills.
- Background in geospatial IT
- MSc in computer science or related field (math, physics) desired but not required
- Experience with internationally distributed virtual innovation project teams
- Experience with technical collaboration tools such Enterprise Architect, SwaggerHub, GitHub / GitLab, etc.
- Exceptional customer engagement and technical communication skills
- Additional language skills, e.g. Spanish, welcome
- U.S. Citizen with willingness and ability to obtain a TS/SCI clearance
Open Geospatial Consortium, (OGC) is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
All applications should be forward with cover letter and resume to jobs [at] ogc.org No phone calls accepted.