OGC Business Development Director
We are looking for a high-energy, driven professional with sound business acumen, strong technical aptitude, and natural sales instincts to join as a Director of Business Development. It’s a hands-on sales role where you’ll be developing and managing membership and project sales cycles and working closely with our Member Services and Innovation Program Directors.
You are comfortable creating and pitching personalized sales presentations that clearly communicate the value of OGC membership and Innovation Program initiatives to top leadership executives and tech savvy influencers at all levels. Based in your virtual office, you will help us improve our sales process and related CRM usage to improve prospecting, nurturing, and closing capabilities - all intended to delight our members!
OGC is a virtual organization, with staff and consultants in Australia, India, Europe, the UK, Canada and USA. We are the world’s leading and most comprehensive community of experts making location data and information more Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable for the good of Society. Our members are innovative, creative, dedicated, and passionate about what we do - as should be the successful candidate!
Role and Responsibilities:
- Enhance the sales process and close new business opportunities for membership recruitment and innovation program initiatives/projects
- Develop business development plans for OGC’s priority markets for membership and projects
- Work in partnership internally to develop strategies and tactics to generate leads for both membership and projects
- Target prospective members and projects and develop a healthy pipeline of opportunities, tracking all opportunities in the CRM
- Work closely with our existing members and OGC staff to generate new high value project requirements and work to convert the ideas into a funded project
- Qualify and nurture opportunities at every stage of the business development funnel
- Develop proposals and presentation materials that clearly differentiate how OGC brings value to a potential new member or project
- Develop annual and quarterly budget requirements for travel and related resources necessary to ensure success
- Support other OGC activities, such as: members service; training; representation of OGC at conferences and symposia; authoring blogs; and supporting OGC regional and national forums
- Work with OGC members, alliance partners, and staff to identify opportunities to enhance/expand OGC member support services
- Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent experience required
- Minimum of 10 years successfully closing opportunities
- Minimum 5 years developing, maintaining, and obtaining meetings with new and existing C-level / Government leadership relationships as well as other tech savvy decision makers
- Demonstrable understanding of project and membership lifecycles, specifically for location based solutions
- Outstanding verbal communication skills, candidate must be authentic, disciplined, and persuasive, as well as comfortable presenting to executive level audience
- Candidate must be able to craft compelling and polished proposal copy and written communications
- Must be able to listen for member pain, unspoken objections and develop insights into win strategies
- Must be located in the greater Washington D.C. Area and be a Citizen of the United States
- Multi-task and prioritization will be critical for the success in this role, our members come from all sectors with fast developing and different requirements!
- Available for frequent local and less frequent international travel
- Recent Sales training
- Fluent in one or more other languages
- Deep knowledge and experience with Location based and Geospatial technologies
- Extensive existing connections to organisations with location based services, technology, and requirements
To apply for the position, please send your cover letter and resume by April 15 to jobs [at] ogc.org.